Your Opinion Of Couchsurfing

Discussion in Travel started by DrRipley • Oct 31, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    For those unfamiliar, couchsurfing is basically letting travellers crash at your couch, and in turn, you can also do the same with other like-minded individuals when it's your turn to travel. Basically, it's like hitchhiking but for homes. Some say it's dangerous, but I've never really heard any incidents about it, and I think any adventure worth its weight is risky to some degree and it can be fixed with a little prior investigation and preparation anyway. What are your thoughts on this, would you ever try it?

2. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I've never tried it, but I have a colleague who was receiving people all the time. Once he said he has two Swedish girls sleeping over and he was pretty excited with it. :D

Seriously speaking, I think it has to be very practical, but carries it's risks, you never know if the people coming are honest or in what sort of house you will stay... My friend never had any issues though.

3. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    I think if youre the trusting type, and dont have anything of value in your house then sure its great. I however, have seen too many people steal or scam to let someone in my house or to allow myself to stay at a strangers house. I dont think id be comfortable with couchsurfing at all.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    it's a very inexpensive option if you really want to travel but isn't a very tight budget. I have Friends that have done couchsurfing and had no problems with it. They love it and swear by it. I, however, I'm really scared to do it because you are staying with someone you don't know, you sleep God knows where and then you need to leave your house open to do the same for other people, which means your house is vulnerable to others you don't even know that might even Rob you. I just think it's a little dangerous.

5. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    A ton of red flags popped up! There is so much danger in doing this. Why put yourself in danger? You don't know the people. You have strangers in your house. They could go through your belongings. They could bring illnesses or diseases into your home. They could be murderers. They could be sexual predators. Now, this does not mean they are. I know that. But, it only takes one to ruin your life or even end your life. I know that sounds crazy and overboard to some, but my home is my family's refuge, their safety. I wouldn't want anything or anyone to change this. There is no way I would ever do this.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind having some stranger sleep in my house or even sleeping in someone else's house because I can take care of myself. I think it's far much better for the traveler as opposed to the tourist because you get to meet the people right in their 'dens' and not polite hotel workers who gall you with all their fake politeness quite knowing that behind the facade of friendship something more sinister could be lurking—

If we have to base our argument on trusting people, why do we trust our leaders when they've given us no reason to trust them at all? If we can trust some guy and vote him into office then I guess everyone should be given the opportunity to prove himself or herself. However. .here's an anecdote that may interest you. It's a real story:

A man named X late from where he normally drunk was offered a place to sleep by a kind neighbor. When they got home, the neighbor gave him some more alcohol which was laced with something stronger. X passed out. The neighbor wrapped himself in rubbers and raped the his guest. X woke up with a pain in his rear. The neighbor told him what had happened and told him if they would be partners from then on. X agreed only because his neighbor was much stronger but once he was out of the house, he never returned but didn't report the matter either because it would be shameful for him to admit that he'd been sexually assaulted. What would his girlfriends think of him!

So maybe, if you lodge at such a weirdo's place, you either need to be an expert martial artist or the sort of person who arms himself/herself up before visiting anyone.

7. sulayman

sulaymanBanned

Threads:
    I generally hate visitors. Even if it were my friend i would not want them to visit me too frequently. This idea to me is a bit invasive. I would not want strange people coming to my house and chilling on my couch. I think that i would be irritated by them and feel the need to get to know this stranger rather than do something more productive.

8. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I think that is just visiting. Unless you have a guest room, guests will obviously have to sleep on the couch. I wouldn't consider that to be couch surfing.

9. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of couch surfing as long as there are some stipulations and boundaries. There must be a background check amongst other things in order for me to participate.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    There is always going to be a risk with or without reward. This just happens to be something where the risk can outweigh that. Would I try it? I think I may. As so many others above have mentioned, research is key. This just helps to keep everyone safe in the scenario. Be careful.

11. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I think couch surfing is a cheap way to travel. You really only pay for transportation and food. The only glitch is that you must pick safe, reliable people. So, you need to really check out the individual before you stay at his or her home.

couchsurfing3-640x395.

12. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Coach surfing is actually pretty dangerous and I wouldn't recommend it. I've read a few stories about people being raped and all kinds of other stuff. Don't put your trust in a stranger and pay the money for a cheap motel.

13. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I think it's going to be a fun adventure. Plus it will save me a lot of money. I'm very much willing to try this!

14. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like couchsurfing. I just don't like to sleep in the home of someone I don't know. I like to stay in hotels and I think I'll keep doing that until I die.

15. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I'll be honest: I'm really not a fan. Although it sounds good, I don't think it's all that good of an idea when put into practice. Not only is there the safety issue (which is definitely a big concern), but I also think it would feel so awkward staying in someone else's house like that. Sites like Priceline.com offer cheap hotels. They don't offer all of the amenities, but you can get a clean room in a safe area for about $30 or $35 a night. If I can't at least afford that, then I'll just stay home.

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think it's a great idea in general, but it needs to be done with caution. For example, I really don't think a single, solo woman should go couchsurfing...or allow someone to crash on her own couch for that matter either. Sure, that might sound a bit sexist because "oh, a woman can be just as strong...and a solo man can still be hurt," etc. Yes, I'm playing into some stereotypes, but realistically, a solo woman is likely to be at a higher risk than a solo man would be if you look at the numbers. Realistically, I think it's a lot safer if it's a couple traveling together or allowing a visitor to crash on the couch. The odds are simply better and make it a bit safer.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    They actually have a website called Couchsurfing.com these days,so you can stay with strangers all over the world for free,and save on accomodations this way when you travel. They say its quite safe and everyone has a profile on this site and provides references as well-so it does seem pretty safe,and you could meet some interesting people this way when you do your traveling. I would say though this is for the adventurer type of traveler-what do you think?

18. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I have never tried it and I don't think I ever will as I would be concerned about the type of people I would end up with. I wouldn't receive a stranger at my house either especially for my childs safety. If I can't fully trust people I know how will I trust a stranger, it sounds too risky.

19. Alonzo123

Alonzo123Active Member

Threads:
    I would like to spend out the time this way more and more ahead.