Your Opinion On Genetically Modified Foods

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Oct 13, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    [video=youtube_share;8z_CqyB1dQo]http://youtu.be/8z_CqyB1dQo[/video]

Just saw this clip from Bill Nye discussing GM foods and I found it to be very balanced and unbiased, which it think is very refreshing to see in modern media. That said, I still can't form my own opinion on it after watching the short clip so I'd like to see some further discussion of it if anyone here would care to share their thoughts and knowledge on the matter.

On one hand, I think genetic modification has reached a sort of point of no return wherein it is inevitable for society to buy these products in one way or another, and it does offer some advantages, but I wonder if the claims of the negative effects have any weight to it such as lack of nutrients and the harm of additional chemicals.

What do you guys think of genetically modified foods?

2. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Genetic modified foods are just another shame that exists in the way we are fed. There was a big buzz years ago about them, but the discussion disappeared and most of what we are eating is genetically modified. With what consequences for us? No one knows. Anyone cares?

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We're eating pesticides and herbicides.. I'm not sure how that's supposed to be a good thing. Unless you grow it yourself though, you'll get that everywhere. And more yield, more waste.. that's about the only thing I'm sure of right now. I'll believe the end results are ok when I see some long term studies that say it's absolutely safe to ingest them. I'll be ok with these companies when they wouldn't kill their own mothers to make a buck.

Another thing I know; I've been on this planet for over 30 years.. not forever, but not since yesterday either. Growing up, I knew maybe a small handful of sick people. Everyone was healthy and I knew tons of people in all age groups. Nobody was sick. I know tons of different people of all ages now and it's the complete opposite. I know more sick people than not. I won't blame GMOs directly, but I would bet my life it's the food in one way or another. I see more yield.. but I'm also seeing it making people fat and sick and so much is going to waste... our cows are better fed than our poor. Please tell me who this was supposed to help again? Why we need more food to feed a fat society?

Either way, I'll stick with my farmers.. it's true, we can't stay away from bug and weed killers in most cases. It's safest to just grow your own food. Since we can't all do that though, it's cheapest and healthiest to just go to the market and follow those farmers around in the colder months. The taste difference is out of this world too, since it's straight from the ground to your plate. No nutrients in the garbage they feed you with at grocery stores. If the bug killers haven't taken care of them all, the journey they have to take to get to you does.

4. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I really avoid genetically modified fruits. A lot of studies have been going against its industry, not just out of ethical reasons, but more importantly of its harmful effects on the health of the masses. There are a good number of really credible studies pointing that these genetically modified fruits put the body at risk by directly inflicting harm on the genes, by attacking the genes.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My problem with GMO foods is that the testing has been limited. I had plans on working in a genetics lab. I remember the idea of genetically modified food was to develop food to survive in harsh environments like the desert. The idea was to create crops that would help to feed the starving people of the world. That didn't pan out. Money override any supposedly goodwill.

Before any drugs can be released to the public, strict guidelines and testing must be satisfied. If anything is not according to code, the timeline for release starts over. Despite this, many unsafe drugs still hit the market. GMO foods haven't undergone any such testing. They have been released to the public. The testing is being done on us. Now, there is a lot of research showing that GMOs are not safe for people or the environment, but the bell has already been rung.

6. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Genetically modifying something is like playing God. God created all the plants we need to grow the food we need and gave us the ability to hybridize them. But when we go into the lab and do all these weird things to alter their DNA, we are trying to create essentially, and it will always go wrong in some way because we are messing with the natural order created by God. I would rather we put time and effort into hybridizing plants through the natural method of cross pollination. That way we are still respecting what God has made and not trying to override it.

7. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I ask to all humans,"Do any of you like environmentally modified air that will cause you to get asthma or asphyxiation?" Of course not. So why would any human wish to eat genetically modified foods, is beyond any reasoning I can muster up in my limited but common sensible mind.

No, to GMO!