Your Opinion On Soy Products

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • May 3, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love tofu and also even enjoy drinking soy milk, and I really thought I could use it as majority substitute for a few of my junk food habits, but I've been hearing comments that soy is still not that good because it messes with your hormones. I'm not sure whether or not that's just a rumor, though, but I don't think I'll be able to give up soy products because I love eating tofu, but of course, I'd definitely consider it or at least just limit my intake if I found out that it was putting my body through stress or risk.

What do you think? Are these negative statements being said about soy just rumors or are they facts? Do you like it? If so, would you be willing to give it up if you knew it was harmful, even in just a minor way?

2. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have used soy products but I find that I don't enjoy them as much as the products they are trying to mimic. If I am going to eat soy products, it will be edamame as it is soy on its own and not manufactured to be something that it is not. Tofu is not to my liking but, at least, it is something unique and not a poor copy of a real food. When it comes to soy milk and soy meats, I think the process of making the soy into something it is not can add a number of ingredients that we should be wary of.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to limit my soy intake, because I don't want it messing with my hormones either, I got enough problems already, lol. I use stuff like soy sauce pretty liberally, but I avoid eating too many meat substitutes that use soy, or meat products that use soy as a filler. What sucks though is I am trying to eat more vegetarian, and all the veggie burgers I like seem to be soy based. I've tried alternatives such as Quorn, but did not like the taste or texture of them at all. I also stopped eating common brands of peanut butter such as Jif since they aren't even peanuts, they are mostly soybean.