Your Thoughts On Mini PC's

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Jun 13, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been thinking of getting a mini PC recently, and I've even thought about assembling it myself as a first assembly project. My question is, anything I should know about this? It seems to be a less popular option among people as I haven't seen much tutorials about it, probably because it is looked upon as no better or just slightly better than a laptop, at which point, I would guess most people would just opt for a regular sized CPU.

What are your thoughts on mini PCs and are there examples that would make one very much worth having?

2. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what you're buying or building it for. If it's for gaming, then you should buy a regular desktop, don't even think about buying a mini PC. If it's for general work, browsing the internet, then a mini-PC should handle that kind of work.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    It's pretty much a normal PC... but with underpowered parts. Do yourself a favor and just get a laptop if you only want that to browse the web and stuff. At least you can carry it with you and is usually more powerful than a mini PC.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I was wondering about this myself what the real difference was.Yes, they are slightly smaller but are they less powerful or effective then a regular sized lap top? I think I may opt to just buy the standard size to be on the safe side.

5. saveraddict

saveraddictMember

Threads:
    A good application for a mini PC is to be a home server that is always on. You can add as many USB drives as you like, and make them available to your home network for streaming video/audio to your laptops/tablets intelligent TVs etc. The reason they are good for this is that they consume very little electricity, and you can leave them on 24/7 with very little power consumption, much less than a laptop. And if you know a lot about network software, you can also set it up as a gateway to the modem that connects you to the internet, and run on it a sophisticated firewall to protect your home network. That would probably require a server version of Windows or Linux though.