Your Thoughts On Solar Panels

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by gracer • Mar 21, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Solar panels are slowly being patronized nowadays here in my area because of the big savings on electric bills they provide plus of course the environmental benefits they contribute. One person I know has had some solar panels installed on his rooftop and he claims that they have saved a lot from their electricity bills because of these solar panels.

The price and installation of solar panels could be a bit pricey though that's why most of the people who are able to buy them here are the ones who have extra money on the side or the more economically-able individuals. Families or households with average monthly income still couldn't afford this kind of service so that's the disadvantage for now. I just hope these panels would soon be made more affordable for the general public so more people would be able to avail of them.

What do you think about having solar panels installed in your homes? Are they affordable on your part of the world or are they also a bit pricey?

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think if you are planning on remaining in your current home for a number of years, and you get a decent amount of sunshine, solar panels could certainly bring a lot of energy into your home for you. In my country, there is very little sunshine, so therefore no point in using the panels - however my best friend moved abroad and her solar panels pay for all of the power that she uses, which is great. So yes, it might make financial sense for you to get the panels installed.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    think the solar panels are more environmently friendly and should be more affordable for the general public to use to cut down on the high fuel bills. If I owned this house I would have them installed, the sun is very direct for this house. I often open the door and light the sun throw the storm door warm up the house. It is often warmer outside than it is inside when the sun is shinning.

The cost of the solar install does keep most people from installing the panels on their homes.

4. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I think the solar panels are environmentally sound. I also think that there is more to them that just the panels themselves. When I purchased solar lights for my yard they each required a battery to work. I would imagine that would apply to solar panels as well. Also I wonder if installation has stipulations like location, age of home, and city codes. I also wonder if you could have panels for certain areas of your home which wouldn't require a larger cost. Like I have an older home with a detached garage or carriage house that doesn't have any source of power and I would consider a solar panel for it.

I really can't see solar panels being affordable for the average homeowner but you never know.

5. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I think that I am on the same page as a lot of the other users here, and I am all for solar panels and alternative energy, and on paper it makes sense. It just does not seem practical for everyday use, but if that can change then it can have a tremendous benefit. I think all it takes is one big idea to turn it into a mass market item, and I hope that I can see it in my lifetime.

6. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I think it would be great to have one installed in my home if only I can afford one. They're very pricey to say the least and I don't think installing one is as simple as plugging it in your outlet. Also you have to consider the maintenance of these panels. I don't suppose you can just wipe them clean with a Windex and a piece of cloth?

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have always been interested in me but I've always hoped and expected that they would be a lot cheaper by now and the fact that they aren't is somewhat discouraging to me. I guess it is just a bit far from being more accessible for mass consumption at this point but there can be a discovery at any point in time in the future that probably can make this way cheaper and more accessible but for now I don't think it's that good of a time for me to invest and I think I'll just wait for a massive price drop before I get into it.

8. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I really do hope that we could all get to experience the benefits of solar panels in our homes in the near future. At the moment, all I could afford are small solar lamps that I recharge with the sun's rays everyday. I use them at night time to lighten up our rooms. When the lights fade out and we're still awake, that's the only time I would turn on the electric-powered lights.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I owned this home and could afford to, I'd have solar panels installed on the roof. I'd also have them installed on the roofs of the shed and carports. I believe there are still some incentives being offered here in the United States, to entice homeowners to install solar panels. From what I've heard, there's a large upfront cost, but when it's calculated over the life of the panels, there appears to be a significant amount of savings. In addition to the idea of saving money, I like the idea of being more independent and self-sustaining, and would love to be able to save that energy and use it when the power goes out.

10. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My neighbor also does this but she uses the outdoor type. She sets them outside in an empty flower pot to be recharged by the sun and then brings them in her house. She bought several from Dollar Tree.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I feel the same way. I'd love to have them if it were do-able. They would have to pay for themselves long term, as well.

I wonder if this is something that could be built into a home loan when people are buying a house? I could see this being part of the package if you're building a home, but I wonder if it's possible with existing homes? Then again, you'd end up paying interest on them along with the house, so unless you plan to pay the mortgage off in a hurry, it's probably not going to end up being the best option.

I have seen homemade solar panels recently. I saw a tutorial for one that a guy built to heat his garage. I don't know if it provides other power.. I don't remember. Still, I thought it was pretty cool.

Here it is:

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    **sigh** I've also got many, many questions about solar panels, @Zyni@Zyni! I do really like the idea a lot, but all I ever hear is that the capital outlay is a killer. So if like me, you're not rolling in it, it appears all it may ever be is a dream. I've seen solar being used here by prestigious safari companies for a long time, and have always wanted to be able to swap over once I have my own property. I'm not sure how the prices and the installation fees here compare with the rest of the world, but I'm willing to bet it's as HIDEOUS as everything else. We're inundated with rip-off merchant here, sadly!

13. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Solar panels saves one from electricity bills though they are a bit expensive to install in the long run. Contrary to popular perception, solar panels are able to harness solar energy even when the sun isn't shining and this means power outages are rare. The informal sector in my area has also improvised cheap solar panels further cutting costs. In addition, they have low maintenance requirements.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband is an admirer of solar power since it is clean energy. Since the 1990s, he was already inquiring. However, the cost is so high that it is not economical. Now there are cheap solar panels that are sold for about $100 but the quality and efficiency is in question. Besides, our research said that battery for storing the collected solar energy are not that good, they discharge by themselves when not in use.

Maybe we will be waiting for 5 more years before we consider installing solar panels.

15. TJMarian

TJMarianNew Member

Threads:
    Solar panels can be a bit pricey initially, but over time they will save money on your electric bill. Offsetting your electricity bill with solar panels can be a huge investment in your future, and if you are able to produce enough energy, then you may soon find that you don't even have a bill left to pay at all. If you are environmentally conscious, then solar panels can help reduce our carbon footprint, and possibly even provide emergency power if there is an outage in your area. The sun is a seemingly unlimited supply of energy, and I have always been very fond of the prospect of producing my own electricity.

16. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The set-up cost of the solar panels is inhibiting the widescale usage of solar power. I believe that more could be done to lower the installation cost, however, considering that it is a direct competition to other forms of electric producing energy, I can probably appreciate why the cost of acquiring it is being kept at the current level. However, in spite of the cost to install, if it can be afforded, I recommend that this form of power be acquired because it will bring tremendous savings in the long term.