Your Thoughts On Windows 10 So Far?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by ohiotom76 • Aug 1, 2015.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I finally took the plunge yesterday and upgraded my primary desktop computer from Windows 7 to the new Windows 10. Initially I had intended to wait a few months to see how others liked it first, and to give Microsoft some time to work out the inevitable bugs at launch. But based on some initial reviews from my friends, I just decided to say "screw it" and went ahead with it.

Though some people claim the upgrade took as little as 20 minutes on their computer, I would say on mine it was over an hour - about an hour and 15 minutes. The only major issue I ran into post installation was that my sound wasn't working at all. I was kind of freaking out over this at first, because after looking for some support on the web, apparently this was a common problem, and none of the remedies I had tried were fixing it. Eventually, someone suggested simply rebooting your computer one more time, and fortunately that worked.

My initial verdict: I'm still really frustrated with how Microsoft moved a lot of core things around, to the point where I had to keep using their built in search function to find them - things like the Control Panel, Msconfig, Windows Update, and the Device Manager. I still don't know exactly where these things are located, but as soon as I find them I'm going to have to create my own shortcuts to them, which is annoying.

The user interface is very plain, ditching most of the jewel tone 3D button styles and beveled edges of previous versions of Windows. If this makes Windows a little less resource intense as a result, I'm all for it. However in its current iteration, it does look a little rough around the edges. There are weird blue lines around various windows when they are in focus. It sort of looks like a beta/working copy of Windows. Not a deal breaker, but could use some work.

The Start Menu is back, but the upgrade got rid of all the apps I had pinned to the start menu, so now I have to go rebuild all of those. The apps themselves are now broken down into alphabetical groups. I'm not crazy about it, but it's better than it being altogether absent from Windows 8.

One thing I will warn you about, when initially upgrading, make sure you choose "advanced settings" and read through these options carefully - you probably don't want Microsoft spying on you with all these new features they are including. I opted out of practically everything - but they are likely hoping most people will just skip past this, so they can collect a ton of data about you.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Windows 10 is great! One thing people need to realize is that W10 isn't meant to be a performance upgrade over Windows 8. They're supposed to be fairly similar in performance, but Windows 10 is supposed to come with more features, better integration across platforms, and with a more fluid UI whether you want Windows 8 Metro or the norms from Windows 7. I haven't experienced any issues with Windows 10, which I've been using since the Preview came out.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it is going to take more than an hour to upgrade to Windows 10 I will have to make sure all of my passwords are written down and copies are made before I upgrade. I have never upgraded my operating system before.

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, the upgrade shouldn't take nearly that long unless you have a slow Internet connection or a slow machine. You should already know your passwords or have them stored somewhere, but that's a different story entirely. Windows 10 won't wipe out your existing files or settings, so backing up your files isn't a complete necessity unless you have things that you can't afford to lose on the machine. It's a quick and simple process that took me about 20 mintutes from download to installation.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the review! So nothing that would bother me at this point, though moving the essentials seems a little pointless and inconvenient. I'm still waiting on more comments before I decide. I absolutely hate windows 8, so I've been clinging to 7 until something better comes along. I've never upgraded either, I just get whatever comes with the machine at the time so I've avoided buying new machines lately lol. Hopefully more people jump in.. or maybe I'll just risk it, who knows.

6. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet. I'm still actually using Windows 7 because like most people i hate Windows 8 too. I'm upgrading it sometime this week I'm just going to back up my files first but my external harddrive broke so i'm buying a new one. I've heard really nice review from people i know so i can't wait!

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ok, so I went to download it yesterday and was unaware you had to reserve it? So I went to reserve it and apparently my 7 wasn't up to date (I hate automatic updates, I always end up with issues after and I keep forgetting to check them), so I went to update and after a decade of fiddling with everything, the final update wouldn't install and I'm still unable to reserve my 10 because of it. About to flush another decade down the toilet lol, wish me luck..

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The download itself was a little over 2 GB when it was downloading via Windows Update. That seemed rather low for an entire operating system, but who knows, perhaps they were able to re-use some stuff from my existing Windows 7 installation.

I was nervous about waiting to install it, in case perhaps Microsoft would rescind it's "free" offer if I waited too long. I did hear that they were rolling out the updates in stages though, so not all people who reserved it were able to install it right away. I've had the eligibility icon on my computer for several weeks now, and reserved the installation back when it first popped up. But it didn't start auto downloading it until I prompted it to.

On a side note, I just found out that by right-clicking on your Start Menu icon, it brings up a whole bunch of options that I thought were missing from the new start menu. I still hate the new start menu though, it's gonna be a pain in the ass to reconfigure it back to what I previously had on it.

9. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    I don't have a positive outlook of this OS so far. I've tried it on one of my PCs and honestly it's just a rehash of Windows 8, the only difference between them being that 10 has got fancier features which some find interesting. I really don't give much importance to ephemeral features, especially if they are commited to eating up a lot of my memory. Just like any object, even a PC degrades, and if you overuse it, it can only do you bad!

10. Snakevenom

SnakevenomNew Member

Threads:
    It's good in my opinion, the performance boost is always nice as I'm a PC gamer so anything like that excites me. I also like the new start menu and the flat OS style which looks better than the seethrough aero design on Windows 7. It also boots up in a couple of seconds so... yeah that's awesome.

11. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @ohiotom76@ohiotom76 I am mad at Microsoft...because when they asked me if I wanted to "schedule Windows 10, I thought I could do it a date of my choosing not theres, So I ended up with a half downloaded system that ate up all my bandwidth...not cool!!! I am in no hurry to upgrade after that, I had to have my roomate take it off.

#11Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
  12. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    Neither have I , that is why I haven't done it yet. I 'm so afraid of knocking out my present Windows and staying with nothing. :(

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm currently testing Windows 10 on a new machine and I must admit it's much better than Windows 7 which I hated.

I guess it'll take a little time getting used to it having stuck with older operating systems for a really long time. Since eventually the other older versions of Windows will be phased out the sooner you guys upgrade the better it will be for you because it takes a while to like a new OS.