Your tips and tricks to save Energy

Discussion in Home & Garden started by prettycolors • Sep 8, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Not leaving your computer running when you go out or using energy efficient appliances are just a few ways to save precious energy and money. For example, just yesterday I changed all my light-bulbs with a model that lights progressively to full potential. They were costly when compared to normal light-bulbs but they're guaranteed to last longer and save energy during their lifespan. I also make sure to stop my PC, TV or radio when going out.

What's your way of saving energy?

2. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    There are lots of these and I am good about saying it, but not about doing it! Turning the lights off when you leave the room, turning down the heating by a few degrees and hanging out washing instead of using the tumble dryer. If you want to take it really seriously, then you can start sharing baths, leaving your hair to dry naturally and eating slads a lot instead of having the oven on.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My biggest energy saver is just not using the air conditioner. The air conditioner makes a bigger impact on my energy bill than all the other smaller things combined.
    Instead of running the air conditioner, I open all the windows, use a fan, drink cold water and dress in light clothing.

4. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I make sure that I turn off all of the plugs around the house when I'm not using them. This includes everything in the kitchen, as plugs that are switched on can drain energy whether there is an appliance switched on or not. I also have a lot of jumpers for the winter, so that I don't have to put the heating on. I have one particular jumper that is very wooly and keeps me warm, so I will put that on in the evening if I am tempted to put the heating on. I will put it on from time to time to avoid damp, but it's not something that I have to resort to all that often to be honest. I will also walk wherever possible so that I'm not wasting fuel in the car, and will only use it if there is no other way to get there, for example if it is genuinely way too far for me to even think about walking to.

5. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    Turn off the lights and any appliance when you're not using them. It's very simple to do and it helps you save a lot of energy. I must admit that I have the habit of leaving my computer on for days at a time, but aside from that everything else gets turned off when I'm not actively using it. It's amazing how much energy a fan running 24/7 or a dryer waste, so things like that in particular you should only use when necessary.

6. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    When I was young and really really poor, I turned off my electric hot water heater for a few days at a time until I had used up all the hot water, then turned it back on when I had used it all up. It saved me a LOT of electricity but that is probably going further than most people want to go. Ceiling fans in the living areas and kitchen can keep you cooler or warmer so you can set the heat or air higher or lower. To make turning off unused appliances easier, plug all your kitchen appliances into a power strip and just turn it on when you need to use them.

7. efrain silva

efrain silvaMember

Threads:
    My parents are my way of saving energy. They are obsessed with it in such an unhealthy manner, and they're not even my real parents! It's such a bummer and a drag what I have to put with on a daily basis here. It has gotten to the point of stressing me out beyond no return. I can't leave a light on for one second!

8. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Of recent I have been leaving my laptop on full day but in sleeping mode. Does that harm the laptop or consume a lot of electricity?

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Plugging out the electric appliances when they are not in use, replacing those electric bulbs to led bulbs, and sticking to schedule set in watching the TV especially for the kids, and getting track always of the monthly bill and making solutions to the gadgets that consume much electricity are some of my approaches to saving energy and to control expenses for electricity.

10. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to spend too much time in the computer, mostly when I am checking my social media account. It is a waste of time and electricity so I learned how to list down my chores in the computer. After finishing my chores, I switch to my phone for my indulgence in social media. At least my computer is somewhat spared of the wear and tear.

11. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    My living room has two light bulbs and what we do is only turn on one of them. If it isn't necessary, we won't turn on the room lights because the one in the living room is enough to light them. You can unplug your television and any other appliance that isn't in use and especially while you sleep. Purchasing power-saving light bulbs is also a good choice.

12. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I use biogas in my kitchen. Biogas is renewal energy. By using biogas, I save fossil fuel. I also use solar energy to light my house. Solar energy is not only a renewal energy, but also green energy.

13. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    Sleep mode does take some energy and if you are going to leave your computer idle for a long time it is better to shut it down. It will be a good amount if you use sleep mode for the whole day. It is just like pausing a DVD which is actually meant for a shorter duration.

If you want to keep it in a temporary idle mode, it is better to switch to hibernate mode. Unlike in sleep mode it ensures all your data is saved in your hard disk than in RAM. It uses the least possible power as it is something close to a shut down. Use it if you want to keep the computer idle for an extended period of time.

However, if I am not going to use it for the whole day I would shut it down.

14. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    One thing I do to save energy is using natural light during the day to lighten up the house, so I open all the windows. When I'm out of the house or simply not using an appliance or any electical based items I keep them off and unplugged. I also wash by hand as much as I can to not use up too much electricity and water.

15. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I use my phone to listen to music or the radio rather than using the radio itself, which consumes more energy. I also use my tablet to read ebooks rather than turning on the PC, which can save me a lot of money in the long run, since these portable gadgets consume a lot less electricity.

16. martinwill

martinwillNew Member

Threads:
    Install energy efficient doors and windows at your home and keeps your home warmer and quieter as well as reducing your electricity bills.

Advantages of Energy efficient doors & windows

1. Save Electricity bills
    2. Lower costs
    3. Better Insulation
    4. Low maintenance
    5. Better for Environment
    BFRC provide energy scale A to G for windows & doors.