Zumba or Yoga?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by katharinemae • Jun 5, 2013.

1. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    its been more than a year since I gave birth and i still have the flabs i got during pregnancy. I really can't decide what fitness regimen to enroll in, been hearing a lot about Zumba, the feedbacks are good but im hesitating because i'm not really a good dancer and i might look awkward. Yoga has been my first choice but i'm not sure if it can burn as much fat as zumba and if i can be that flexible. What do you think is the best way to get rid of these horrid flabs?? ZUMBA?? YOGA??

2. Rocky

RockyMember

Threads:
    Zumba will be more of a cardio workout. Don't worry about looking awkward (everyone is when they start) it is more about how it makes you feel, and after a few classes I'm sure you will feel like a better dancer. Yoga is more about stretching and strength which is also very beneficial.
    If I were you I would try and do both. Switching up your workout routine weekly will give you the most well rounded experience. Yoga might be an easier start if you haven't done much in awhile.

3. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both are completely different, I don't see why it has to be one or the other, you could do both. However, losing fat is all about what you eat, not how much exercise you do. The studies have shown that exercise doesn't play a significant role in fat loss. Cut your carbohydrate consumption and the fat will fall off.

4. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm trying my best to do the after 6 diet.. no meals after 6 and cutting out on my carbo. Been walking every morning and just bought boxing gloves yesterday. I've made up my mind decided to do boxing instead. Wish me luck.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Zumba and yoga can help anyone to lose weight.
    To be honest, I don't think you should just settle for one because a balance between both of these forms of exercises will bring you the best results. It has always been said that once you start doing a sport or exercise in routine then your body gets used to something and you don't loose weight which is why I would recommend alternating between the two.

6. asteriks

asteriksMember

Threads:
    If you want to have fun while losing weight, I guess Zumba would be it for you. Don't worry about being awkward because you don't have to be a dancer to have fun in Zumba. Most people doing Zumba are non dancers too and it's really easy to pick up the steps. Once you pick up the steps, you'll be having much fun while losing weight. Of course, a good diet is essential to an exercise regime to losing weight too.

7. stevensmith

stevensmithBanned

Threads:
    i have no knowledge about the term Zumba so can't say what it is all about but yes i do Yoga on a regular base for a maximum health benefits to me

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Of course the more active method burns the most fat, so if I were you, I'd go for Zumba, it doesn't matter if I will look awkward dancing or not. The important thing is to reach my goal to lose as much weight asap.

9. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd go for Yoga because i love how relaxed it makes me feel afterwards. I have tried Zumba and didn't mind it but I prefer Yoga. I think this depends on the person really & what type of workout they are after.

10. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Like as said in the thread, Zumba is more about getting fit, while Yoga is keeping a fit body and soul. I never tried Zumba, but even so, i still prefer Yoga because is a more relaxing exercise and you can do it at your own pace.

11. Tribie

TribieMember

Threads:
    I am a person who gets easily bored. Zumba being more fun is for me. It is hard to get into shape so you might as well have fun doing it. If you are more private person then do yoga.

12. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I do Zumba, I did not try yoga because I have a problem with my back, many positions are not good for my back. Anyway I started Zumba after my brother gave me Wii, then I saw an ads regarding it. I bought one then tried it. At first I'm doing it for fun, then after 2 mos I lost 15lbs, I did not plan it but I'm happy. I still do it up to now. There are some steps in Zumba that will target specific body part. I think it will help you to shed body fats brought by pregnancy.

13. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    I'm really into yoga, so I would have to say do some yoga with some moderate-impact cardio on the side. I've looked into Zumba a little bit, but it didn't really appeal to me. I'm always kind of skeptical when it comes to things like Zumba that gain popularity really fast. Maybe it would be great for you though, it could be fun! If it were me, I'd do some yoga and cardio.

14. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, I'm not into Zumba, for exactly the reason you stated. I just feel awkward and can't get a good workout because I can't relax enough to make it worth my while.

But Zumba and Yoga are so different that if you are into each, do both. They both do totally different things, and are both awesome workouts if that's what you enjoy.

As far as getting rid of baby weight, however, I have to agree with the poster who made the point about exercise. You're really going to do more by concentrating on nutrition over exercise. I don't suggest finding a "diet" that works for you. I suggest making some lifestyle changes that you can switch to and stick with forever.

Once you've taken care of the actually tummy FAT, you'll be able to see how much of what is left is simply stretched skin. At that point you'll have another decision, because there's no amount of weight loss that is going to make excess skin go tight again. You can either live with it (and some spanx) or get a tummy tuck. Weirdly, the tummy tuck is pretty affordable option these days.

15. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I've never done yoga, but I love zumba!! It is fun and the music is great! I love to dance and move around! I haven't been able to do zumba in months but I can't wait to get back to it!

16. KC Evans

KC EvansMember

Threads:
    I walk 2-3 days a week and I've seen a little progress. I lost about 5lbs but I've been considering Zumba myself. I have the same issue, I want melt this mommy pouch.

17. whatupswags

whatupswagsMember

Threads:
    Hey there! Hopefully by now you've found your solution! Just wanted to pitch in my two cents. Zumba is exactly perfect for those of us with a little bit less confidence in our dancing skills - but who still love to dance! Think of it more like aerobics, but to better music. However, if you're looking for something peaceful and more relaxing (which might be really nice considering you're a mom and might want some quiet time), then I'd definitely go with Yoga. Yoga might have slower results, but you will still get results from the lengthening stretches, core-toning positions, and it will give you some exercise and rest simultaneously. Best of luck!

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    The best way is to do exercises that are designed to target that area of the body. Zumba is best for when you want some form of aerobic exercise to get your heart rate up. Yoga is best for maintaining flexibility and spiritual and emotional balance. If there is a community center that offers modern dance classes for adult beginners you can get a mixture of what is offered by both yoga and Zumba at a moderate pace. You'll be able to get some exercise and trim your middle as well as build strength in your legs.

19. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Yoga is better when you are still pregnant. Zumba is common now a days and I can see some group exercises everyday in our town where people gather just to zumba in a nearby open venue. My girl prefer yoga though since stretching is what she needs.

20. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    Yoga is better than Zumba. It will keep your mind and body in a pleasant State and you will feel good about it!!!