Zumba or Yoga?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by katharinemae • Jun 5, 2013.

1. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I have never done Zumba before but I love to dance so I know I would enjoy it. I guess I'd pick yoga, I have done yoga several times and it comes on throughout the day on the Veria network so I have easy access to it as opposed to having to go purchase the Zumba dvds or pay for the classes.

2. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Both! I think that both Zumba and yoga will be beneficial to you. Many people have the misconception that you cannot lose weight doing yoga. This is untrue as know many people who have, including myself. I really sweat with yoga. The same with Zumba, although they are very different from each other. If you go to YouTube, you can search for yoga for weight loss and you will find whole routines on there.

3. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I am a big fan of yoga. It does well with toning and stretching your muscles. Furthermore, it has some great mental benefits. Yoga helps me to relax and become aware.

4. Amanda Simon

Amanda SimonMember

Threads:
    According to me yoga :)

5. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I like zumba more since you will burn off more since you are doing a whole lot of cardio at different paces. There are some places that offer "Hot Yoga" which is yoga in a place like a steamy room where you can sweat off everything while you clear your mind.

6. v_lady_g

v_lady_gNew Member

Threads:
    You might have already decided on which route to go. But I'd like to share what I do, just in case you're still looking for more ideas. I started off with Yoga (I work from home so I do it when I have free time) which helped me shed off some pounds. I got bored after some time so I tried Zumba. Honestly, between the two, I have no favorite. What I do now is do Zumba in the morning, and Yoga in the afternoon. I get to do some stretches and cardio everyday.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Had I been more flexible, I would not mind taking up yoga classes and flexing myself while entertaining peaceful thoughts. However, due to a bone problem which needs a bit of surgical tweaking, Zumba seems a safer choice compared to Yoga. At least the former lets me move it with as little bending as possible.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like yoga and Pilates in general, but dancing is my passion when it comes to any form of exercizing. And actually Zumba is not my favorite, I prefer Jazz or if it's a regular gym, Body Jam and Sh'bam classes, which are more for dance and pop hits.

9. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    I actually do both. I do zumba in the morning and yoga later on. Yoga helps relax muscles after a high-intensity workout like zumba. Yoga is also beneficial even after a weightlifting session.

10. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I think yoga ist better than yoga and make you very fit

11. James-M

James-MMember

Threads:
    Zumba!
    There are a few various types of Zumba classes, from Aqua Zumba workouts to classes like Zumba Toning that fuse weights for extra calorie blazing and quality preparing. There are even Zumba classes for children.
    Working up a sweat in the hour-long classes smolders a normal of 369 calories - more than cardio kickboxing or step vigorous exercise. You'll get an incredible cardio workout that melts fat, fortifies your center, and enhances adaptability.

12. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have no idea of Zumba but would certainly like to know more about it. However, I am involved in other fitness programs which keep me absolutely fit to my utmost satisfaction. I am almost the same weight for last 15 years and need no change which is absolutely fine for my age and height. I am involved with Yoga but only for few minutes with a particular activity called "Laughter Therapy"

13. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I think yoga is more to relax and be more flexible while with Zumba, you move around more, sweat more, and gain muscle. If you want to lose weight, I suggest Zumba instead. It doesn't matter if you can dance but just follow the movements as best you can because when you start a class, mostly everyone is new. You're not there to just dance either but lose weight so if you try to dance all the steps, you'll lose weight. That's the overall goal.

14. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    You are caught between Zumba and Yoga as far as your bloated abs is concerned. In zumba, it all takes to dance and dance until those fats in your body are removed. And in Yoga as you claimed couldn't guarantee the fast removal of your excess body fats. Well, though everyone who is doing the Zumba dances but it is a requirement to be a good dancer. As long as your carry your body along with the dancers either perfectly or not, it is okay. Go for Zumba.

15. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I've been doing yoga for sometime and I would prefer you give it a try. You don't have to be flexible, you can start when stiff and gain flexibility gradually. I don't know if other people have realized it, but with yoga you get in shape after a few weeks and you don't have to do it for many hours a day. It makes me feel great.

16. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My wife has a plan to start an exercise regimen to lose weight. She admitted that doing her self-exercise is not helping her achieve her goal. And since zumba is very popular here, that is first on her mind. I had checked on yoga because it is not only good with physical but also with mental and emotional which I think that my wife needs. However, yoga classes are very expensive and far from our home while zumba is just around the corner. In fact, there are several places near our home where zumba activities are held not only in the morning but also before dinner hours. So I guess zumba wins over yoga.

17. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest I'd do a combination of both since they both are different. When I was starting my weight loss journey I went to a program that had both yoga sessions and Zumba. We were aloud to take both on different days, by turns. Zumba was to help me lose weight and stay fit while yoga was more like a therapy to relax my mind and muscles.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I will suggest you to go for Yoga under the guidance of a trained instructor. Zumba is bit complicated with different workouts which may or may not be suitable for your kind of needs but Yoga certainly has solution for pregnancy related problems with putting you on any physical risk. The only thing to keep in mind is that you should do it under trained instructor.

19. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    Yoga has a long history, however, zumba is a recent phenomena. benefits of yoga was established hundreds of thousand years ago, nonetheless, Zumba is yet to be time tested. Zumba is just a physical exercise. However, yoga is mental as well as physical exercise. For these reasons, I will always choose yoga.

20. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I already had the opportunity to practice both options, but unfortunately I didn't like any of them. I've tried it for a few weeks (classes in outdoor gyms), but even though they are cool... It really is not activities for me. :cool: